[Asterisk-Users] ATA186 through NAT, over Dialup, success story

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Wed May 21 03:19:10 MST 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Humberto Atristain wrote:

> to all guys Windows XP, has a PORT MAPPING feature on the Advanced settings
> so you can Dialup on a Laptop and "Share" to an ATA-186 it works I use it
> everyday for demos to customers, my only question is INBOUND I dont know if
> it works

I'm sure that it will depend on how long the WinXP (or
whatever) connection sharing keeps the port 5060 mapping open.

I notice that Packet8 has the SIP box REGISTER every 30
seconds.  That's very often, but on asking they said it was
"necessary" to keep the port 5060 mapping alive on NAT routers.

So I guess if you or I were to setup the ATA186 to register often like
that, inbound calls will work too.

I'll do some experiments when I'm back home.

Regards,
Steve
(via wifi at Schipol Airport :-) )