[Asterisk-Users] G.729: Typical usage scenarios

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun May 18 12:11:54 MST 2003

>Clicking on the "For more information, click here" link on the
>Digium site nice brings back up the same page I was looking at
>before, without any additional G.729 information that I can see.
>
>I'm wondering if some kind asterisker out there could provide us
>neophytes with some "typical scenarios" where that codec would be
>useful to us.
>
>For instance, I assume that it doesn't gain anything on calls passed
>out to the PSTN?

Well, if your Asterisk server is right next to your UA (ATA-186) on
the same ethernet, you don't gain anything - you should stick with
the ~80kbps G711 codecs which sound better.  If your Asterisk server
is on a different continent across a 56kbps satellite link, then I
would suggest that you look into the G729 codec.  People who are
bandwidth constrained and have multiple UA's connecting from distant
locations are most likely to benefit from G729.

>Do the Cisco ATA186s have any ability to handle this codec?

Yes.  Set LBRCodec to "3" and then set TXCodec to "3" and RXCodec to
"3" to set G729

>Perhaps it would be useful if I'm trunking from a FXS port here
>locally to an FXO port that is connected to a remote asterisk server?

Only if you have critical bandwidth shortages.

>Also, is the license "once in a lifetime" for a given channel?

One-time payment per channel.  No recurring fees.

JT