[Asterisk-Users] Extensions.conf sugestion?

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at souja.net
Sun May 18 00:24:04 MST 2003

In automating things with *, I've hit this a few times myself.

I typically solved it with headers like

; ###START OF MY STUFF###
stuff
stuff
stuff
; ###END OF MY STUFF###

Then I just throw away that chunk and regenerate from scratch (from my
other data source, typically a custom configuration file from a custom
script).

One question, is there a way to include one file from another in our
config files?  That would be really useful--especially for having a
script generate certain settings.  There's nothing like just blowing
away a completely generated file with a new completely generated file.
Includes would allow that without touching the rest of the
configuration.  Not to mention that extensions.conf can get really long
and that would seriously help manage it.

Right now, I use a number of python-based scripts to synchronize my naming
conventions between voicemail.conf, extensions.conf, and zapata.conf
(peoples names matching their extensions).  Includes would make them
*MUCH* simpler.  Ironically, I actually keep a number of my * files in
RCS because keeping track of the changes has been so painful.  Being
able to separate things out into files would really help there.
Otherwise, I think the configuration syntax will become a serious
problem when we start getting to sizes that compete with the big boys
(10,000 extensions over multiple servers).

Jayson