[Asterisk-Users] Stupid question about recording prompts

Brancaleoni Matteo mbrancaleoni at espia.it
Sat May 17 16:23:38 MST 2003

Hi
> I'd like to record some prompts using a nice microphone and my Ensoniq
> sound card, and then convert them to gsm/wav for use with asterisk.
>
> What Linux command would I use to a) do the recordings, and then b)
> convert them to the appropriate formats?

I used Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) under linux for
doing the recording prompts (as mark suggested sometimes ago
onto this list). Is a nice , powerful & simple tool.

Then, after recording them as 16bit/44Khz/mono wav files,
I simply converted them with a batch command to gsm with sox.
For example, if u have several waves in 1 dir, you can simply do

for I in *.wav ; do sox $I -r 8000 -b -c1 `basename $I .wav`.gsm ; done

that will batch convert all files into gsm, using the same filename
(but ending with .gsm), ready 4 asterisk.

Matteo.