[Asterisk-Users] TDMoE

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri May 16 13:42:25 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 15:29, Alex Lopez wrote:
> In all the information on Asterisk it takes about TDMoE to link
> asterisk servers together. Is this IAX???  How would I use TDMoE.
>
> Maybe my first question should be, What is it???

TDMoE is an attempt to create a fake TDM connection over ethernet. It
accomplishes this by creating putting packets directly on the ethernet
wire destined for the other side.

TDM interfaces are always on, so a TDMoE psuedo T1 will rob your
ethernet line of 1.544mbit+overhead right off hand with zero calls on
it.

IAX is a VoIP protocol, and like other VoIP protocols it keeps a small
ping like connection to the remote side to make sure it can complete a
call, and then only perks up to a larger stream when there is a call to
be transported.