[Asterisk-Users] unsubscribe

Markku Korpi korpim at cosini.com
Fri May 16 11:13:21 MST 2003

Well there may be even more reasons [not to use outlook]...
Sorry if/that this is a little off the topic, but I think important to know,
since it just happened to me, ...and caused me some cold sweat...

Some of you may have received yesterday emails with the dangerous Fizzer
worm in the attachements. [Outlook and Outlook Express is a nice platform
for worms...]
Those were not at all coming from my computer, but the worm faked my email
address sender and reply address and sent itself all over the world. [the
worm uses the windows contact lists to spread itself]
I could only detect what was happening from the failed transmissions and
virus reports that landed in my mailbox. "Fortunately" there were so many of
these that I could trace back and call the person, on whose contact list all
the receivers were.
The best indications were some virus defence emails from * people (thank you
Digium, Pauline & others for having a good virus defence!)
Soon after my friend disconnected his computer these notices stopped.

So, if you received such suspicious emails yesterday and opened them, you
have a good reason to check your system against Fizzer very quickly!
All non-windows users are probably safe, but still also their name may soon
be appearing as a sender of Fizzer...
So if you receive suddenly wierd email delivery failures, as I did, try to
trace back quickly that Windows friend of yours as soon as you can...

Markku