[Asterisk-Users] Limit call length, whisper time remaining?

Michael Manousos manousos at inaccessnetworks.com
Fri May 16 07:50:36 MST 2003

Florian Overkamp wrote:
> At 16:30 16-5-2003 +0300, you wrote:
>
>> This one will set a time limit on the current active channel.
>> What if you want to set a limit on an outgoing call
>> (the one that is spawned with "Dial") without a restriction
>> on the current channel?
>

> Doesnt matter, now does it. Asterisk has no sense of what is in- or
> outbound, so if you program your extension logic to set the time limit
> before the outbound dial is made, there is no problem, or am I missing
> something ?

Ok, let me put it like this:
I want to initiate a call from inside the dial plan

exten => 1,10,Dial(SOMETHING)     ; This will spawn a new chan.

without setting a timelimit on the current channel.
If I use the "AbsoluteTimeout" app, the current channel will
be hang up and therefore any channel spawned by "Dial".
That means that you can't force a timelimit on a spawned
channel without closing the current channel as well.

Michael.