[Asterisk-Users] Limit call length, whisper time remaining?

Garry Adkins gpa2 at netacs.net
Fri May 16 04:07:37 MST 2003

Hi,

We've been evaluating the use of * in our company, and so far, I'm impressed....

There is one thing I'd like to do, but haven't been able to figure out:

We'd like to provide people (e.g. travelling employees, etc) the ability to call in via 800 number, and call back out to their homes.  However, we'd like to limit the length of the person's usage in a certain timeframe.  Ideally, we'd like to "whisper" a comment like "You have 8 minutes remaining".  This lets us limit abuse, etc.

I was just thinking... This would work very much like a calling card works now.  (i.e. call into main number, enter PIN, call out but be time limited to X minutes)

I understand how to set up and retrieve the persons information (via PIN # or whatever) from a database via AGI.. That's fairly straigtforward.

For the whisper, I thought I might be able to put the call in a "conference room", and then play an MP3 of the whisper message...  Not sure how well that would work and how you would time it appropriately.

I can't figure out any way to limit the call length and terminate the call forcibly if necessary.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-Garry