[Asterisk-Users] Soft SIP phones (with RING !!)

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Fri May 16 00:42:52 MST 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 22:46:43 -0700, Andrew Gillham wrote:

>On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:30:28PM +1000, Gary wrote:
>> >
>> >Actiontec sells a USB device call the Internet Phone Wizard or something
>> >like that.
>> >
>> >-Andrew
>>
>> the total lack of real documentation on their site doesn't help.
>>
>> does it run SIP ??
>>
>> actually I have to say their site actually stinks....
>
>I would tend to agree.  As far as I can tell it just shows up as a
>Windows audio device, perhaps with some telephony extensions.
>
>Checkout the accesories area on http://www.iconnecthere.com/ where they
>talk a bit about it, and might have more info.
>
>-Andrew

yep, certainly does..... but again if the manufacturer cant provide
manuals and define its standards, its still a poor show.

What I am looking for is a hard-soft phone solution.

lets look at the prgression...

1.	Softphone... no real ring ability
2.	Hard-softphone... still a softphone with the added advantage
of having a telephone handset to pick up and dial with etc.
3.	Hardphone, basically a separate none tied solution to a pc,
eg: snom
4.	external interface device without or without pc configuration
eg: ata186.

What I am about to offer here in Australia is a registration type
service running asterisk particularly for our own ADSL customer base
(but not limited to).
This means also that cisco-ata type devices running BEHIND nat can even
ring each other etc (which explains my other thread question.

So initially most users will progress from 1 to 4 (above) with some
taking jumps etc.... I just want to have the products to recommend for
each step.

Gary
.