[Asterisk-Users] Processor

WipeOut . wipeout at linuxmail.org
Mon May 12 06:00:39 MST 2003

Hi,

I am interested in the thoughts of the people who know the architecture of Asterisk quite well..

What I am interested in is the performace difference of Celeron vs P4 vs Xeon.. I know Intel marketing says that servers should be Xeon, Workstations should be P4 and desktops should be Celeron and they are priced to the specific target market..

I am on a tight budget and so I am looking for the biggest "bang for the buck" in the server I will be putting together in the next week or so..

I don't think the standard processor rules apply when we are talking about Asterisk becasue it is not a file server or a data crunching database..

My thoughts here are that the L1 and L2 cache are not critical becasue the most important thing would be the handling of the TDM switching (interupts per second).. so this means that there probably isn't much difference between the different families of processor.. and so you should be able to achieve a comparible performance using a Celeron processor at a far cheaper price..

The fault in my thinking may come in the voice compression/decompression and transcoding area where a Celeron may not be able to buffer the data efficently in which case a P4 would probably be all that is required..

I don't see the need to go to a Xeon.. based on the large price difference for a Xeon system vs a P4/Celeron system..

What are your thoughts??