[Asterisk-Users] Sound Quality

nathan at yorkukhosting.com nathan at yorkukhosting.com
Sun May 11 04:15:28 MST 2003

Hi All,

I've just setup a test Asterisk system that allows incoming/outgoing calls via
an ISDN card (l4i) and incoming/outgoing calls via SIP (iconnecthere). I have
two SIP Softphones (Xten X-Lite) for making and receiving calls.

When receiving an incoming call via the ISDN interface the sound quality is
fine for the Softphone user (i can hear the caller perfectly), but the person
calling experiences very choppy sound. There are no breaks in the sound, but
it is very choppy, to the point where a conversation is not possible.

I installed Asterisk from CVS earlier this week. It is running on RedHat 9,
with a XP1600+ Processor, 384MB RAM. The ISDN card is an 'Elsa Microlink
ISDN PCI'.

I've searched through the archives but cannot find a resolution to the
problem. I've tried changing the compression used but this has little or no
effect. Has anyone got any hints or tips?

Thanks,
Nathan.