[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail2

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat May 10 11:55:01 MST 2003

Mark Spencer wrote:>>One would be Audix-type "headers" with the
messages, that would tell us
>>the date, time and source of a voicemail message.  I think at least the
>>date and time would be fairly easy to code?
>

> What kind of "headers"?  Can you provide an example message off-list?

Sure.  Hope you don't mind getting all the user info for my work phone :-)

Call 219-866-6000, upon hearing the incredibly loud generic
institutional greeting, go to Audix with 6060.

My extension is 6114, password is 47959.  Pound signs after, just like
asterisk.  You'll then hear the "You have  1 new message," whereupon you
hit "2" to "get messages."  Then it will play you the "header" for the
first message, and to listen to hit you hit "0".

Once you're finished listening, "*D" will delete it.

I just left a short message there for you.

>>And then, calling back and trying again, if it messes up again after the
>>eighth or ninth of twenty-two messages, and I have to call back yet
>>again, the blood pressure rises pretty high.  Would it be hard to have a
>>menu option that would allow the user to jump to a given message number,
>>or perhaps have an option to go most-recent to least?
>

> what kind of "messes up"?

It's the stuff documented in the incredibly long message I sent you the
day before yesterday.

At least some of my cutoffs, I now suspect, are artifacts of the way
that my ATA186, which I have conf'd to talk to asterisk, interacts with
my Vonage lines, which are acting as my PSTN backhaul.  All of us (3
Vonage lines, asterisk, IAX connections to several other asterisk
servers, some behind NAT and some not, my icconecthere account, and
several "client" ATA186s) are in varying degrees of NATtedness.

I have two more days of school after today, and at that point I want to
hit this stuff heavy as can be.  I'm a pretty decent programmer, but
completely unfamililar with the lay of the asterisk code, so I can't do
any more (for now) than interact with you.

I hope to rectify that during summer break, and hope to actually be able
to contribute some.  Might as well start with my own problems.

Anyways, when I call in to get voicemail on a remote (public IP) ATA,
which is connected through asterisk to a Vonage line, and then it uses
Vonage to connect to my Vonage line at home, sometimes it cuts
off--actually it *always* cuts off; the length of time I can talk first
is variable.

When I come in via icconnecthere versus Vonage, DTMF doesn't seem to
work at all.

And finally, when I come in via IAX is when sometimes, I think due to
messy bandwidth on one network, the tones sometimes don't get "heard"
correctly, and the voicemail app cuts me off--assuming because of timeout.

Sorry for the length.  I just figure too much info is better than too
little.

Thanks.

B.