[Asterisk-Users] vmail.cgi cannot read/delete messages

julian green julian.green at jacobsrimell.com
Thu May 8 06:15:58 MST 2003

umask is a unix thing. Every unix process has one and it is used to
determine the file permissions a file gets when it is created.   umask
is a bit pattern of bits that get turned off.  Normal files get a
starting permission of 666 and directories get a starting permission of
777.   The umask is applied and that leaves the permission bit pattern
the file is created with.

e.g.

Find out what the umask is
[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ umask
002

(002 means to turn off world write)

create a file
[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ touch x
[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ ls -l x
-rw-rw-r--    1 jgreen   jgreen          0 May  8 14:08 x

set umask to another value and repeat above test.

[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ umask 022
[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ rm x
[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ touch x
[jgreen at acton1 jgreen]$ ls -l x
-rw-r--r--    1 jgreen   jgreen          0 May  8 14:12 x

Julian