[Asterisk-Users] Wildcard X100P Choppy Sound and Chipmonk Recordings

Ray Russell Reese III russ at zerotech.net
Fri May 2 21:04:34 MST 2003

Hello,

I recently purchased a Wildcard X100P FXO Card primarily as a learning tool
and to provide myself with voicemail and a few other perks that are better
than an answering machine.

I followed the setup in the FAQ, and it works, just not well. The sound is
very choppy and staticy whenever a call is placed. Sometimes it clears up,
and sometimes it degrades very badly.  I also recently tested recording
voicemail using just the demo voicemail box 1234.  When I went to play back
the WAV, I sounded like a Chipmonk and then it locked up XMMS.

I've read a number of messages about not running anything that might be
hogging the PCI bus, so I quit X, shutdown all non-essential processes, and
still no improvement at all.

I'm curious if anyone can possibly help me out? Some debugging information is
provided below:

Output from dmesg pertaining to card:

Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
Found a Wildcard FXO: Wildcard X101P
Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)

The computer is an MSI 845E Max Motherboard with a Pentium 4 2.4GHz Northwood
processor and 512 Megs of PC2100 DDR Memory, and a Radeon 7000 AGP Video
Card.

I tried both Asterisk 0.4.0 and the lastest from CVS. I'm running Gentoo Linux
although I compiled Zapata, Zaptel and Asterisk myself into
/usr/local/asterisk to prevent my portage directories from being polluted.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide!