[Asterisk-Users] Up coming FXS card.. but what about FX0?

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Fri Mar 28 20:54:56 MST 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:13:01 +1000 AEST, Jim Gottlieb wrote:

>> Consider a card which could be configured as selectable fxo or fxs and
>> 12 to 20 ports.
>
>Sounds to me like a channel bank.

Ah, but its not !!

See the problem is that you guys are thinking wrong (in my opinion) and
very local based.

Consider that for the moment such devices as channel banks DID NOT
exisit. Then consider that in many parts of the world they dont !!

Why not have a PCI card with configurable ports (FXS/FXO) ?

Yes voicetronics do have one, but lets be honest, its not support in
asterisk and it is quite overpriced (especially for the local
australian market).... Why spedn $USD2k = roughly $AUD4k plus 10% local
tax when you can go out an buy a key system for less ??

Channels banks are not the answer either, you still need another card
(e1/t1) to drive it.

With what I am suggesting, you AVOID the need of a channel bank and a
t1/e1 card especially when you only have normal analogue PSTN lines
available. If you do have PRI/BRI then the appropriate card is
available.

Now of course if such a card became available and it was designed/built
correctly we could even get local approval and actually use "legally"

Gary

PS: don't forget cut down versions on same board = approval as well, so
more for the same cost

.