[Asterisk-Users] username option in sip.conf

Anton Yurchenko phila at dg.net.ua
Mon Mar 24 08:00:58 MST 2003

Anton Yurchenko wrote:

> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>
>> I beleive the username should be without the @xxx

anyway I just read a draft of Asterisk Handbook2 and here what it sais
about the username option:

username: username Asterisk tries to connect when for some reason it
differs from the one used when client registered.

What I would like to have is on my SIP phones( Snom 100 )  that when a
call is recieved it look like that it is from person at foo, instead of
number at foo. Without the need to add extra extensions that point to SIP
channels in extensions.conf.

is there a way to do it?

> nope,
>
> I`m trying to have a setting like:
>
> [1001]
> type=friend
> username=phila at dg
> secret=phila
> host=dynamic
> defaultip=172.20.0.199
> canreinvite=yes            ; Cisco poops on reinvite sometimes
> mailbox=1001
>
> but changing to
> username=phila
>
> doesnt help. On console I see things like:
>
> NOTICE[122896]: File chan_sip.c, Line 3629 (handle_request):
> Registration from '"Anton Yurchenko" <sip:phila at dg>' failed for
> '172.20.0.199'
>

> only when its like
>
> [phila]
> ..
>
> it works.
> Username is not taken into account it seems.
>
> thnks
>
>> roy
>>
>> On Monday 24 March 2003 13:58, Anton Yurchenko wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> what purpose does the username option for a peer serves in sip.conf? I
>>> saw a mention the you could for example define an extension like:
>>>
>>> [999]
>>> host=dynamic
>>> secret=blah
>>> username=blah at foo
>>>
>>> but this doesnt work like this. Asterisk writes that registration
>>> failed
>>> on the console, and ethereal shows 401 Unauthorized responce that *
>>> sends.
>>> but it works like:
>>>
>>> [blah]
>>> host=dynamic