[Asterisk-Users] AGI or somthing else??

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Mar 23 11:57:30 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 12:38, WipeOut . wrote:
> The situation I was trying to get to was that the Asterisk SIP
> authentication would be based soley on IP address and that my
> other app would provide the user validation..
>
> That way I could map an extension to a user and it would not
> matter which PC they logged into their calls would be routed
> to the right place..
>
> In thinking about it, it would not work anyway seeing as the
> conf files are all read into the system on startup so a change in
> the sip.conf would not take effect until the system was reloaded..
>
> Which brings me back to the original problem of allowing muliple
> users on the same workstation without having to teach them how to
> reconfigure the IP phone to recieve calls on their own
> extension??

Are these hardware SIP phones, or are they software phones?

If software, you should be able to have unique configurations based upon
unique logins to the PC.

If hardware, you can assign specific username/password combos to the
phone, and do lookups via AGI to a file that will link user to phone.
For perl, you can use the freezthaw module to store the data fast and
retrieve it fast. You could have a hash of your users, and assign the
phones username to the user. Then the AGI app could dial this SIP phone
upon lookup. The benefit here is you can have a perl app external of
asterisk to also manipulate the file such as login/assign sip phone,
logout/unassign sip phone.