[Asterisk-Users] Newbie issue. Error in compiling source code for zaptel drivers

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Mar 21 15:00:52 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 15:39, Brian Johnson wrote:
> What are "module versions on the kernel"?
>
> I did a google but didn't find an explanation that I understood.

>From the kernel itself...
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS:                                                                                                                                                                                     x
  x                                                                                                                                                                                                         x
  x Usually, modules have to be recompiled whenever you switch to a new                                                                                                                                     x
  x kernel.  Saying Y here makes it possible, and safe, to use the                                                                                                                                          x
  x same modules even after compiling a new kernel; this requires the                                                                                                                                       x
  x program modprobe. All the software needed for module support is in                                                                                                                                      x
  x the modutils package (check the file Documentation/Changes                                                                                                                                              x
  x for location and latest version).  NOTE: if you say Y here but don't                                                                                                                                    x
  x have the program genksyms (which is also contained in the above                                                                                                                                         x
  x mentioned modutils package), then the building of your kernel will                                                                                                                                      x
  x fail.  If you are going to use modules that are generated from                                                                                                                                          x
  x non-kernel sources, you would benefit from this option.  Otherwise                                                                                                                                      x
  x it's not that important.  So, N ought to be a safe bet.                                                                                                                                                 x

>From genksyms
 When a symbol table is found in the source, the symbol will be expanded
to its full definition, where all structs, unions, enums and typedefs
will be expanded down to  their  basic  part,  recursively.  This final
string will then be used as input to a CRC algorithm that will give an
integer that will change as soon as any of the included definitions
changes, for this symbol.

So this alllows modules to be moved from one kernel to the next as long
as the definitions for the function call have not changed at all.