[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID fake-out tool

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Mar 19 19:09:03 MST 2003

This (fraud?) was brought to my attention today.  An interesting
idea, I don't know if it's genuine or not, as I have not purchased
it.  What interests me more is the concept behind the product: the
ability to generate CID tones after-the-fact in order to populate
caller ID devices with customizable data. It plays (supposedly) a
series of tones that simulate the CID tones to which many caller ID
boxes listen. If this is a viable idea, perhaps it could be written
into Asterisk as an application or extension.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3012540984

Downsides:
   - obviously only changes CID after call recipient has picked up call
      - probably plays loud modem (Bell 202?) noises into the call
      - the "real" caller ID is still in memory of the call
recipient's caller ID system
      - will probably not work with PBX systems that take CID and run
with it, and ignore further updates

Upsides:
   - would allow me to use multiple analog lines with consistent
outbound appearance
   - would allow me to overflow CID buffers to remove my original CID
with junk (marginally useful)
   - ? others

JT