XML + Asterisk (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] PHP Gui for Asterisk (AGI questions))

David T Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Tue Mar 18 09:21:22 MST 2003

Mark Spencer wrote:

>>If XML is important to your needs, why not write a translation script to
>>parse XML and write the asterisk configs? Scripting languages abound and are
>>appropriate to the task. Obviously, the transaltion script could grab your
>>XML and write fresh asterisk configs every time you started asterisk.
>>

>I agree with the idea of translating other formats to create Asterisk
>config files.

Interesting article that just hit Slashdot today regarding XML:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/03/16/XML-Prog

Using XML as an intermediate storage format for a management GUI
wouldn't be too bad.  Simply run it through an XSLT to generate the
asterisk-format config files and everything would be fine.  There most
likely be the issue that all changes need to be made to the XML, not the
asterisk files or changes would be overwritten at a later time.