[Asterisk-Users] PHP Gui for Asterisk (AGI questions)

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 15:22:57 MST 2003

I think the way to go with conf. file for Asterisk is XML.

When I first saw the Asterisk conf files I wondered if Eric
Allman had found a new job working on Asterisk. (That's
a joke for those of you who have had to maintain a sendmail
installation.  sendmail.cf is the definition of cryptic)

Some advantages of XML:

1) Parsers and file editors already exist for XML.  Users could
   edit files with ready made GUI tools, programmers can use
   XML with XML libraries.  There are even web-based tools for
   maintaining XML data.

2) Parsers and file editors can perform file validation.  Making
   it not-possible to save an invalid file.

3) (some) Database systems can gobble up XML and spit it back
   out.  Yes, I think the DBMS idea was resonable for a large
   installation.  Overkill if less then say a few hundred
   extensions.  Large sites like to manage phone extension and,
   extension to physical location maping and other stuff in a DBMS.

4) XML (with addition of a style sheet) can be directly displayed
   in a web browser

5) Without a GUI and/or wrb front end the system will remain
   only "geek usable".  (Your average "phone guy" doesn't know
   how to use vi.)

6) XML readers can ignor parts of the XML file they don't understand.
   This allows one file to carry information for multiple readers
   ad for new additions too the file not to break older readers.

--- Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 11:36, Stefano Finetti wrote:
> > I was wondering about a little php-based GUI to manage Asterisk
> Extensions.
> >
> > Many way to obtain this, but i think that implementing in a php
> script the
> > AGI Commands should obtain the best results (more, the best result
> would
> > come with AGI+Mysql instead of a text file like extensions.conf
> but...).
>
> Text files would be better than a database since you could comment on
> what you are trying to do with a text file. Also a text file can be
> munged easier than a database when a change in argument format comes
> out
> such as the function style of calling apps in asterisk. Maybe if you
> need webbased configuration you could make a script that held your
> working copy either in a flat file or text file , then generated a
> new
> extensions.conf file as you commit changes. Once commited, you make a
> call to asterisk to reload via the manager port.
>
> > The problem is that I've tried to understand *where* and *how*
> apply AGI
> > commands, without, of course, any good result.
> >
> > In which way AGI commands are passed to asterisk?
> > Into the console?
> > Executing applications via extensions.conf?
>
> AGI commands come from a script invoked by asterisk itself, and
> communicate via STDIN/STDOUT with asterisk.
>

> --
> Steven Critchfield  <critch at basesys.com>

=====
Chris Albertson