[Asterisk-Users] Execute shell commands as an extension application possible

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Mar 14 08:35:11 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 15:45, Christoph Schütz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to start a xmessage box if a call comes in.
> Is there a possibility to start a programm as the first extension?
> Like:
> exten => s,1,xmesage ...
> or something like that?

You may want to find a better way of getting that functionality, you
will need to loosen your security on X so that a process you don't own
can access the screen. If you are running X as root you probably already
need to do some time thinking about security again.

If you need that asterisk install to be reliable, you probably shouldn't
be running X on a production PBX. X is known to eat a lot of resources.

If you are using asterisk on your workstation, I can attest that VoIP
will start to degrade as system load rises either via screensaver,
browseing the web, or any other application. I was also on a 1ghz T'brd
so speed shouldn't have been an issue.

If you choose to disregard these warnings, the answer you are looking
for is 'system', but make sure you background it or as long as the X app
is running your extension logic will hang.