[Asterisk-Users] splitting the asterisk list?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 13 13:27:59 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 13:23, Steve Radich wrote:
> There should maybe be a few reminders sent out to posters saying this should
> have been in the dev mailing list.
>
> I would recommend though that something like a initial setup list be created
> for the questions like getting extensions working, setting up initial VoIP,
> config voicemail, initial channel bank configs, I found phone model xyz that
> works, etc.  As the product gets more and more popular the newbie questions,
> and those just wanting to get started and test it out, will get to be more
> and more traffic which is useless to many of the users.  As long as plenty
> of people keep supporting the newbie list that would work - if people quit
> supporting it then keeping it in one list is needed.

Newbie questions should be where the user list excels. This is users
helping users fix config issues. The whole naming of IAX2 might have
done better on the dev list. Patch submissions and talk about feature
implementation should be on dev. This way we don't confuse normal users
with information that isn't ready for general consumption.