[Asterisk-Users] Hardware Compatibility and zaptel driver

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Mar 10 08:15:47 MST 2003

Hi Nir,

Let me guess - you used an EtherNet cable to connect the E1 port to the
Telco's box on the wall, and it is several metres long?

Although the plugs look like EtherNet plugs the cable actually has the
wires paired differently. The crosstalk of just a few metres of cables
incorrectly paired like this is often enough to give a gentle stream of
bit errors. Cat 5 cable is OK. The EtherNet plugs are OK. They just need
to be wired differently.

Regards,
Steve

Nir Simionovich wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   Well, as some of you alrady saw myself and Optimus on the IRC
> channel, I guess you already
> know us. In any case, I've been battling the following issues during
> the past few days:
>
> 1. My Telco claims that he can see many CRC4 errors originating from
> my side of the PRI line.

If your line dies and you can see smoke pouring from the local exchange
building, the Telco will still say the problem is your fault. It seems
to be a basic quality of Telcos in every country :-)