[Asterisk-Users] g.711 to GSM gateway

Cerrajetto cerrajetto at pyme.net
Mon Mar 10 05:04:02 MST 2003

Hello:

I would like to implement a VoIP telephony system; client's
software/hardware only supports SIP with the g.711 codec.

It's very huge in wan communications (about 110 Kbps) !!!

I'm looking for systems that could reduce this bandwidth, at this time I
can't change the client side.

Can Asterisk act as a gateway to convert g.711 to GSM, and then reduce the
wan traffic?. The idea is on-the-fly conversion:

client 1 -> Asterisk GW 1 -> wan -> Asterisk GW 2 -> client 2

client 1 calls client 2 and sends g.711
Asterisk GW 1 converts on-the-fly g.711 to GSM
Asterisk GW 2 converts on-the-fly GSM to g.711
client 2 receives g.711 from client 1
(and vice-versa)

Is it possible to do it with Asterisk?

Thanks in advance.