[Asterisk-Users] CDR Output

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 13:50:49 MST 2003

--- Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> Actually, I think you'll find that it's easier to manage and plan
> for database usage than it is to recover from unexpected database
> load.  It really doesn't matter what database you're using; even
> the most heavy-duty mainframe will underperform if you get
> unexpected traffic.

Yes, exactly,  Try stress testing to see what breaks and how
the system fails.  What I found was that MySQL wins under light
loads but becomes unstable under load.  Other DBMSes just become
slow.    Worse is that DBMSes that don't support transactions,
and rollbacks and concurency require the programmer to be
real smart.  And if multiple application systems all must
access the transaction-less DMBS, managemant must be real smart too
so to insure that all the development teams implement the
compatable workarounds in their designs.

That's the problem with "enterprize level" databases.  You will
have programers working in different departments under seporate
management access the same data tables.  It is best if the
DBMS is designed to enforce various bussiness and data integrity
rules or you get into a big data melt down.

I've used MySQL.  It is good if you only need something two
steps above a file system and you have a well defined, limited
application.  While you _can_ think of Oracle as a shared corporate
resouce, MySQl is just not intended for that use.

One proplem is that projects grow. other people find uses for your data
you find uses for other people's data and then you find you
really do need transactions, views, triggers and so on

That said I've been a user of Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL for
many years.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com