[Asterisk-Users] OT: PRI costs in US

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 5 12:02:36 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 12:36, Karl Putland wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 08:33, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > What I learned from home, you do not want X running at all on your phone
> > system. The VoIP quality on my home system took a severe drop when my
> > screensaver would activate. It would also clear as soon as the screen
> > saver would go away. This was on a 1ghz AMD T'bird with 256 megs of ram.
>
> The X screen savers aren't exactly cpu friendly.  Set the screensaver to
> just blank screen then X doesn't eat cpu while your machine is idle.

I just used it as an excuse to purchase a new workstation and left the
old 1ghz T'bird to be solely phone switch. To me this was the best
option as the old T'bird heats up tremendously when a load is applied.
Odlly enough the new workstation and the old one as a phone switch seem
to put off less heat together than the old workstation alone in do all
mode.