[Asterisk-Users] CDR Output

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 16:32:58 MST 2003

I tested both MySQL and PostgreSQL under various loads, Actually
got paid to do it.  In the simple case where one process just
stuffs data into the database with INSERT MySQL was about 4x
faster in terms of INSERT/second

However if you have five or six processes that are doing lots
of transactions, mixed INSERT and SELECT, MySQL grinds to a halt
The trouble is locking.  MySQL only lets one process at a table at a
time so everyone else is shut out waiting.

On a large PBX with high call volume you can't afford to have
a table locked for 10 or 30 seconds while some guy does an ad-hoc
join.

PostgreSQL is more stable but can "only" do a few hundred INSERT
per second on PC hardware vs. well over 1000/sec for MySQL.

--- Matteo Brancaleoni <mbrancaleoni at espia.it> wrote:
> I agree. postgres could be too slow if used into a big
> system and you can't afford a rather good machine.
>
> mysql is very fast and simple.
>
> and I don't see where's the problem into the extraction...
> a simple division could be done in any language, with any
> program...
>
> matteo.
>
> Il mar, 2003-03-04 alle 20:27, asterisk at billheckel.com ha scritto:
> > Why would anyone use such a big axe for a small problem, a trigger
> to do simple math. Bah.
> >
> > MySql is perfectly suitable for CDR logging on any practical phone
> system short of telco main office
> > eqpt.
> >

> > Karl Putland wrote:

> machine.
> in
> duration
> into the
> > >>

> > > Write a trigger for on insert or a view that converts sec->min.
> Oh wait
> > > your using MySQL.  Use PostgreSQL ;)

> --
> Matteo Brancaleoni <mbrancaleoni at espia.it>