[Asterisk-Users] Brooktrout T1/E1 cards and Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Mar 4 10:10:49 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 10:31, George Bean wrote:
> I have wanted to setup an Asterisk system for several months but have
> been unable to do so because I lacked the funds for a T1 card to
> connect my channel bank to the server. Recently, I acquired several
> Brooktrout T1/E1 interface (PRI-PCI48VC/PRI-PCI64V-C) cards for the
> PCI bus. According to the Brooktrout web site
>

> http://www.brooktrout.com/products/netaccess_pri_pci/specs.html
>

> Linux drivers are available for these cards but I don’t as yet know if
> they are open source. Brooktrout makes several references to the
> software development package that comes with the cards (I only
> received the hardware) so I think there is a good chance that the
> drivers are open source. Assuming that I can obtain the Brooktrout
> Linux drivers and they are open source, can I use these cards with
> Asterisk or would Asterisk specific drivers be required?

Last time I dealt with Brooktrout their drivers where definately not
open source. That is why they make reference to the development package.
Althought they probably have been upgraded, they only where intending to
release a driver against a RH production kernel.

Basically the just of this is, you will run into licensing issues if you
write a channel driver and then distribute it as your copy of asterisk
is GPL, and the library and drivers for the card are decidedly not GPL.

You may well be able to place those cards on Ebay and with some luck get
more than the cost of Mark's T1 cards.