[Asterisk-Users] Minimum budget question ...

tim.mcqueen at qualisys.biz tim.mcqueen at qualisys.biz
Mon Jun 30 08:55:45 MST 2003

If this is for commercial use, especially if you are going to be selling
this solution, I would suggest that you don't even offer the choice of
analog lines except in the smallest of offices.  Unless you like to
spend a lot of unbillable time supporting them :)

Most businesses of more than 8 to 10 people should be able to afford T1
service.  Depending on your area, business analog lines can cost more
than $70 a month per line.  This can quickly add up.  A channelized T1
with local phone service runs about $400-$500 in my area, with the added
benefit of getting DIDs and less of a headache.

I agree with the person who responded below: low budget minimum
configuration will screw you and your customer.  They are probably going
to take out a line of credit to pay for your labor (billable and
included in the total price that you quote; you do have a contract,
don't you?) and the cost of hardware.  You might as well quote them good
hardware that is reliable and dependable, and will suit their needs for
a few years to come.  Buy commercial with a support contract, or be
prepared to keep spares of everything.

It seems to me that a lot of people using Open Source software (I
disdain the term Free, because nothing is) are in the "Cheap Cheap
Cheap!" mindset.  This is great if you are doing it for yourself, but
it's not a good idea at all if youare trying to sell the solution to
customers.

Now that I have that off my chest, here's what I reccomend for a
business package:

Server: Dell 600SC with 2.4 Ghz proc, 512 MB RAM, 2x Hard Drives in RAID
1, 3 years 24x7 4 hour response on-site support for hardware - $1550

Two T100P T1 Cards: One for the local T1, one for a channel bank.  -
$990 or you can get a quad span T400P for $1495

From the archives it seems like the zhone channel banks are kind of
crappy, so I would go with a Adtran Total Access 750 which will run you
about $2500

The phones - Don't forget the phones! - Pick one you like and stick to
it.  Don't go to WalMart of CostCo and buy phones.  I like the Aastra
PowerTouch 390, which I think are about $99 each.  It sounds like a lot,
but I've had good luck with these phones.

So the total hardware will be somewhere around $5000 for a phone system
that can handle up to 24 users.  When you compare it to other commercial
products that go for about $1000-$1500 per user, that's a considerable
savings, plus you get a better product.

Don't forget to add in your cost for building the system

Reocurring charges will be:

$400-$500 per month for local phone service, maybe more or less
depending on who the LEC is and if they have a package allows you buy
less than a T1 of service (just a few channels).

Long Distance - who knows?  I've seen businesses pay as little as 1.7
cents and as much as 12.  Shop around for your customer and make a good
recomendation.

Maintainence which should be a percentage of the total sale, billed
annually, unless you (or they) want to charge for support on an hourly
basis.

And don't forget to contribute a bit to keep the project going ;)

-Tim