[Asterisk-Users] Terrible audio quality using Asterisk and X-Lite?

Chip G chipg_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 16:39:36 MST 2003

Greetings! I have made great progress thanks to this
group. My Asterisk seems to be working for the most
part. I am using the following equipment/software:

* HP Vectra VL - Pentium Pro CPU - 256MB RAM
* Redhat Linux 8 - Loaded straight from distro CDs as
Developer Workstation - latest updates from RHN
* Asterisk (latest as of two weeks ago when I used CVS
checkout)
* X-Lite SIP Client on a Windows 2000 PC
* 10 Base-T network between the PC and the Asterisk
server
* The Win 2000 PC is acting as a router to the
Internet. It has a 10/100 NIC connected back to
Asterisk and a wireless NIC to the Internet.

I have configured using Andy's quick start and the
Asterisk manual as guides. I have setup a single
extension with voicemail. When I call, the generic
voicemail greeting answers and allows me to leave a
message. I receive an e-mail with the message
attached. However, the quality of the recording is
terrible. I also notice that the quality of the audio
during the voicemail greeting is intermittently great
and sometimes choppy/missed completely.

Are there any settings that I can tinker with to
enhance the VoIP quality in this configuration?

Thanks!
Chip