[Asterisk-Users] Web interface for Asterisk

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Thu Jun 26 19:32:52 MST 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 08:55:25PM -0400, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
> So why not just open vi and bang out a conf file?    How is a newbie
> ever not gonna be a newbie with a GUI config?

Why limit the range of configuration options?  I mean, what about people
who know vi sucks and emacs rules?  Besides, wouldn't it be even better
for the newbie to just fire up ex and bang out their own telephony
application?  It will match their requirements more closely.

There is nothing wrong with lowering the bar to entry.  When they
run into things the GUI does not handle, they will be more likely to
pop open a nedit window and find the effort worthwhile since they
have already learned that Asterisk is worth having around.  Or do you
disagree with the concept of Linux distributions too?  Wouldn't the
newbie be better off downloading all the individual parts, from the FTP
servers like we used to back in '92?

Besides, if we are ever to have a fully configurable GUI, we will
probably have to "suffer" along with a partial solution until someone
who needs more flexibility and has the skills, enhances the existing
tool.  Besides, wouldn't it be in *your* best interest to volunteer
to help fix up the GUI to make sure it is dead simple for a newbie to
install a precompiled package, pop open a web browser and sign up for a
/*your company here*/ account or twenty?  You *can* still use vi when
you make changes to your own configs.  No-one wants to take that right
away from you.

> Good luck, your gonna need it,

I disagree with your attitude.  I hope for your sake, you don't take
that attitude with your prospective customers.  But hey!  You are free
to have your own personality.

BTW, do you edit your sendmail.cf files directly?  Or do you wuss out
and edit sendmail.mc instead?  BTW, it is not germane to my point that
you may be running some other MTA instead.  I prefer to run postfix
myself.