[Asterisk-Users] use of Asterisk and T100P as Nortel DSX-1?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Jun 26 12:14:17 MST 2003

while I am not using this configuration, I can offer a few answers :

At 11:39 AM 6/26/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've seen a couple of posts recently from people who are doing
>something with Asterisk and a T100P and a Nortel PBX.  However it's
>not clear exactly what they are doing.
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible to use a T100P or T400P as a DSX-1
>interface to connect to a T1/PRI CO module in a Nortel PBX?  We have
>a Nortel Norstar Modular ICS PBX and I'd like to plug its CO module
>into an Asterisk server, for interesting reasons.

yes, you can, the signalling on a t1 is not really that different in either
direction.
The actual circuit is a dsx-1 yes.

>Nortel's ATA/ASM for analog stations are not suitable for use with a
>softswitch like Asterisk and FXO interfaces.

(in my experience they aren't suited to much)

>  Also, Nortel has no T1
>station module, so I think I could only connect Asterisk to a CO card.
>In this case, the Asterisk server needs to act like a telco for the
>purposes of the Norstar.
>
>Will this work?
>
>Also, I'd need to set DID digits on calls delivered to the Norstar
>so that I could control the call routing.  All of the posts I've seen
>to this list indicate that Asterisk can decode DID digits, caller ID,
>etc. that are delivered to it, but I haven't seen any indication that
>Asterisk can SET the DID information on a call being delivered to another
>PBX.

my understanding of the PRI in simplified terms is like this. The D channel
is used to signal in both directions. So, asterisk could say to the PBX,
hey, channel 1 wishes to connect to 905-680-0436, please provision and
connect the call on your end. Then the pbx does its thing, and replies OK
back on the D channel to asterisk to let it know the call is completed.
this is your DID number (but that is the term for it on PRI), caller id of
the originator would also be passed in as part of the D channel messaging.

Conversely the PBX could say to asterisk, channel 5 wants to make a call to
whatever and this is the number the call should appear to originate from.
Asterisk does its thing, and replies OK, or BUSY or whatever other
signalling codes apply to the attempted call.

>Will this work?
>
>I already know how to use coordinated call routing to deliver calls
>from the Norstart to Asterisk.
>
>These ideas would be a really handy use of Asterisk.  If this stuff won't
>work, what might it take to make it work?  I suspect it's more complicated
>than just using some sort of crossover cable and connecting them together.

shouldn't be no.

>Thanks to the list denizens I've learned how to make Asterisk interface
>very nicely with a dumb pbx using the Flash and SendDTMF functions, but
>I would love to know the best way to make ASterisk interface with a
>smart PBX.

T1 w or w/o PRI signalling are really the only "standards" you are going to
find on pbx's that I know of.