[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk - first impressions

Peter Zeltins pzeltins at bigfoot.com
Wed Jun 25 23:16:54 MST 2003

I'm still a newbie in Asterisk, just yesterday installed it for home use (so
I can call home while travelling). Using AVM A1 (BT Speedway) ISDN card.
Anyway, I find it very hard to locate supporting information for Asterisk.
User's Handbook is still a draft, this mailing list is not easily
searchable, and any info out on Usenet is scarce. I spent some 30mins just
trying to find out naming convention for ISDN4Linux channels!

My home Asterisk is now functioning, but I still got some minor quirks to
solve:

1. SIP softphone provides "Ringing" indication when I call another SIP
softphone, but not when the call goes out via ISDN. All I get is "Trying"
until called party picks up.

2. The |r option to Dial() always hungs up after half-a-second. This happens
with all types of channels, tried with Modem, SIP and IAX. I thought this
option was meant to provide "Ringing" indication to caller?

3. Couldn't find out how to perform an action when extension goes off-hook,
before any digits are dialed. I'd like a specific extension to dial
predefined number as soon as it goes off-hook (I'll have MGCP hardphone for
which I'll want to use this).

4. Tried calling US toll-free number using
TRUNK=IAX2/gnophoneuser:gnophonepassword at iaxtel.com
exten => _91800NXXXXXX,1,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN:1}@iaxtel)
exten => _91800NXXXXXX,2,Congestion

The call is connected but no audio comes thru - is the gateway still in
operation btw?

Any help greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Peter