[Asterisk-Users] Re: New Module app_perl

Anthony Minessale anthmct at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 16:17:02 MST 2003

Oops, every time I make up a random arbitrary example someone
pounces on it. =p

(BTW I am happy with the config file, I was just making up an example)

Hmmm embedding Perl in asterisk will allow us to <RANDOM_IDEA>

REPLY:

<RANDOM_IDEA> is

choose 1:
REDUNDANT
USELESS
STUPID
FAT
RESOURCE INTENSIVE
UGLY

Perl is a REDUNDANT USELESS STUPID UGLY FAT RESOURCE INTENSIVE
hog that can or can not be embedded into C applications depending on
the choice , preference or need of the maintainer.

I have cross compiled apache to run on an IPAQ with hardly any modules in it
It is a tiny binary (psst I still have Perl on my IPAQ too)

That doesn't mean apache shod not have mod_Perl as an option cos it bloats it.
I have another apache that is huge with a handful of modules compiled into it

For me,  being able to use a PC as a PBX is close enough as having linksys type phone router.  (BTW As soon as they make one everybody will hack it and use it as a PC)

I tossed together a p4 2.4GHZ 120GB HD 500M ram box to test stuff on.
and It was like $500 bux w/o even trying to be thrifty
(6 PCI),(ONBOARD 10/100 LAN,VID) filled with 4 analog line cards and a 4 Line
TD400M Id rather have that than a linksys-type-thing where everyone's free stuff
is arranged in a cheap plastic box and put on sale.  But if one was to exist it
would probably have huge storage in it for voice mail and could spare the room
for little ol' Perl If the inventor permitted.

Maybe we can make etherboot or CDROM asterisk initrd image so you can have diskless  $200 PC become an instant asterisk box with no moving parts

Maybe we can port mini-asterisk to run right in the phone as it's OS.

See, this ranting I like to do is called brainstorming  It's not mandatory to act on
every idea but perhaps speaking them aloud or posting them to forums
will lead to a good idea every once in a while.

From: Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

Ahh, now we can understand your ailment ;)

It has been brought up before, and I forgot to mention it in the TCL
config debate, but the configs need to be small and able to not become
bloated. We have developers here trying to put asterisk on embedded
systems so that one day we might go to the store and buy a linksys
router like phone switch for our home. Embedding Perl into a core
function like config means they must allocate resources such as storage
for what all Perl brings along with it.

So a proposal for those who keep insisting on a separate config
formats,
What we might need is a directive that can be placed in the general
section of the extension.conf file that acts like a extension, but is
executed on start and reload. From there a system call could be
generated or agi to set up the rest of the system. This makes an easy
config method for those experimenting with new formats without
cluttering the rest of the code base, or causing undue headache on our
embedded friends.