[Asterisk-Users] Re: New Module app_perl

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jun 25 11:49:58 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 12:57, Anthony Minessale wrote:
> Lot's of possibilities........ perl likes to parse text more than
> anything else
> you could develop the config file parsing engine that way and go to
> town making up a format rather than dealing with coding the parsing
> and you can teach asterisk to read config files from different systems
> etc.
> maybe asterisk is the emacs of pbx systems (oh oh here come more
> flames going off on a tangent)  YES I like  PERL! and EMACS!

Ahh, now we can understand your ailment ;)

It has been brought up before, and I forgot to mention it in the TCL
config debate, but the configs need to be small and able to not become
bloated. We have developers here trying to put asterisk on embedded
systems so that one day we might go to the store and buy a linksys
router like phone switch for our home. Embedding perl into a core
function like config means they must allocate resources such as storage
for what all perl brings along with it.

So a proposal for those who keep insisting on a separate config formats,
What we might need is a directive that can be placed in the general
section of the extension.conf file that acts like a extension, but is
executed on start and reload. From there a system call could be
generated or agi to set up the rest of the system. This makes an easy
config method for those experimenting with new formats without
cluttering the rest of the code base, or causing undue headache on our
embedded friends.