[Asterisk-Users] Hardware Survey: your configurations

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Jun 25 00:27:30 MST 2003

The most frequent question on the list and from associates seems to
be "What kind of hardware and processing power will I need to put
together for an Asterisk server?"  Of course, there is no easy answer
to that question because of the number of variables that one must
take into account when constructing a system.

When no good algorithm exists for building an estimate, the next best
thing one can do is look at previous examples in order to build at
least an idea of what has been done before that is known to work.  To
this end, I'd like to gather some of your experiences with hardware
and Asterisk implementations, and provide them a permanent place to
live so that new users can refer to at least a list of known examples
before they clutter up the list or IRC channel with the same
questions and the receive the same replies.

SEND REPLIES TO ME, PERSONALLY.  I will condense in one week and
reply back to the list with a histogram or something, and put it on
my website.  I will make all replies anonymous unless you wish to be
identified in the summary.  I may extend this survey in the future if
it is successful.

JT

----------------------------
Asterisk Hardware Survey v.20030625.1

1) What architecture:
        (i386, sparc, ppc, etc)

2) How many processors:

3) What mhz processors:

4) What processor type:
         (Intel P4, AMD, UltraSparc, G4, etc.)

5) Complete only if you have Digium or other Zap-like cards:

      a) What is your total port capacity?
           (Meaning if you had 2 T100P cards, this would be "48" as an example)

      b) How many channels do you "normally" see used?
           (Give a guess of how many channels are up as a daily "used
hours" average, excluding dead hours where there is no activity)

      c) What is your daily peak # of channels used?
           (Again, guesses are OK.)

6) Do you have IP-based channels?
      ("Yes" if you are using SIP, H323, etc.)

7) What is the most-often used codec?
      (G.711, G.729, Speex, ILBC, etc.)

8) How many IP-based channels do you normally have open?

9) How many IP-based channels do you have at peak usage times?

10) Are you happy with the performance of the system with the specs above?

11) Tell us your experiences with the configuration you have.