[Asterisk-Users] 911/Emergency calls + Caller ID

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Mon Jun 23 19:38:26 MST 2003

>Also, it isn't very easy to 'test' either, as the staff at the 911 call
>centre won't appreciate your testing, and at least in Australia, it is some
>sort of criminal<?>/illegal offence to call emergency for non-emergency
>situations.

I had much the same thoughts. Currently my 911 code is just commented out
for that very reason - I don't want to get in trouble for accidentally
making 911 calls to test it. Should I rely on that code untested for when
it is really needed most ? What are other people doing ?

I have a set of extensions I call "line seize" that are supposed to act
like the line buttons on a conventional business phone to pickup a specific
line and get a dial tone (I was going to add them to adsi to make the
illusion even more complete), maybe I will modify those to include a
softhangup when the line is busy if the user hits * or something.

In a real emergency though you would want this as simple as possible, but
foolproof if you code it wrong.