[Asterisk-Users] Newbie questions.....

Chris Bshaw cwbshaw at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:10:16 MST 2003

Hi....

Thanx for the info.....sorry to hassle you, but I have follow on questions
below.....

>I seem to recall that there is a Cisco 79xx administration tool in the
>http://www.vovida.org/ pages somewhere.

Had a look at this.....this tool will certainly make managing Cisco SIP
phones easier....thanx....

>Yes.  The manual should explain further details.

I am not a voice comms expert and our Cisco IP Telephony system was
installed by an outside company....

Are you referring to the Asterisk manual here?

Just looking at the manual, it seems to me that I could use a Zaptel E1 card
and configure the zapata.conf file appropriately......am I correct?

If so, I would just need to learn how to configure an E1 port on the
6509.....and configure the CallManager to know where Asterisk is in the
number range....

>>* We have a Nortel Meridian PBX on our other campus which is connected to
>>our IP telephony system via an E1 link to a Cisco Vg200 voice H.323
>>gateway.......would there be any way to point asterisk at this gateway and
>>make it part of our main phone system that way? ....again if so how?
>
>Yes.  That's too complex to explain adequately here, but you should try
>setting it up to answer the question yourself.

Again, I am at a bit of a loss since I am not a voice comms expert....where
would I begin in Asterisk...is there a H.323 channel (as there is for SIP)
in Asterisk?...or is this a silly question.....?

I don't see any mention of H.323 in the conf files....

....and lastly, one further question.....I got voicemail working, but the
red light on the Cisco 79X0 phone doesn't light when a voice mail is
waiting.....is there a way to enable this?

Thanx  very much for the info, and thanx in advance for any further info....

Chris.