[Asterisk-Users] Newbie questions.....

Chris Bshaw cwbshaw at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 09:18:40 MST 2003

Hi.....

I have just successfully setup Asterisk with 2 Cisco 7940 phones (converted
for SIP) and a SIP softphone on a W2K box.....and it all seems to work very
well.....to those who wrote this software, it is really cool.

Anyway, I am new to this software, and I have a lot of questions which I am
hoping someone on the mailing list might be able to answer for me.....I am
basically trying to get an idea of  how/what I can do with Asterisk that I
am already doing with our existing phone system....

Sorry about the length of the mail....the docs don't seem to cover some of
the topics below.....

Thanx in advance for any help.

Chris.

* We currently have a Cisco IP telephony system (using their
CallManager).....am I right in saying that Cisco phones using Skinny will
not work with asterisk? Is it ever likely too?

* When we connect and power on a Cisco 79X0 phone for the first time, it
automatically registers with the CallManager and is assigned a temporary
number. We then do into the CallManager admin interface and assign it to its
owner, give it its permanent number etc. Among the things which happen are
the TFTP files for the phone (eg: SEP<mac_address>.cnf) get created as part
of the automatic registration. When I converted the phones to SIP, I had to
manually create config files for each phone (SIP<mac_address>.cnf
etc.).....is there any way I can have this happen automatically?

* We have an 8 port E1 card in a Cisco 6509 which takes our main phone trunk
to the public network. Can we connect an Asterisk PBX server with an E1 card
to this? If so, could we then connect the Asterisk PBX to the callmanager?
(Perhaps with another extension range).....and if so, how?

* .....or could we connect Asterisk to the 6509 over IP and so make it part
of the main phone system?

* We have a Nortel Meridian PBX on our other campus which is connected to
our IP telephony system via an E1 link to a Cisco Vg200 voice H.323
gateway.......would there be any way to point asterisk at this gateway and
make it part of our main phone system that way? ....again if so how?