[Asterisk-Users] Newbie making progress... need help with .conf files

Chip G chipg_98 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 09:11:45 MST 2003

Thanks to this group, I am making great progress in
getting up and running with Asterisk! I actually
connected with a SIP client last night and made a
phone call (still getting some error reports from
Asterisk -vvv during the process and intermittently
regarding SIP registration errors).

Up to this point, I have been using the .conf files
that were created during the basic compile and install
process with modification based on Andy  Powell's doc
that has been referenced here so many times (THANKS
Andy!). Now I want to be a little more adventurous and
delete all the .conf files (perhaps just rename) to
start from scratch. I have read the Asterisk Handbook
version 2 quite a few times and studied the
configuration file section. However, it is still a
little unclear to me which specific .conf files are
required for a basic setup using Asterisk with IP
connectivity only... no TDM... with SIP clients for
internal calling, music on hold, voicemail, cdr (call
logging) and IVR.

I figure I have to have:
sip.conf
extension.conf
voicemail.conf

Are any other .conf files required to allow asterisk
to work for SIP, internal calling, voicemail, IVR,
cdr, music on hold?

Thanks!
Chip