[Asterisk-Users] Question :: groundstart and loopstart

Surfer Dude swell at labranch.com
Tue Jun 17 16:05:32 MST 2003

Hello Astrites,

I was just about to send out a long email about not being able to detect hang-up with my CAC II FXO module on my PSTN POTS lines.  I had tried many configurations.  I had attached a toner to the line to see if I was getting this "disconnect supervision" signal after hang-up.  (toner has a line powered light in the off position)  It seemed that I was getting the signal, as:

    The light was steady on onhook
    When the line rang the light dimmed.
    When I picked up the line stayed dim (If I remember correctly)
    When the other end hung up the light stayed on
    Then turned off momentarily a few seconds later.  (I suspected this was "disconnect supervision")

Anyway asterisk never detected hang-up.  Everything else worked.  I was frustrated as hell.

After a few days of trying everything, I tried to set my CAC II FXO module to Groundstart and configured zaptel.conf and zapata.conf to groundstart signaling.

Voila!  Everything work!

The question is how does groundstart and loopstart work?  How was I able to have a somewhat working system using loopstart when it seems that the phone company signaling was groundstart?  Can I assume that my lines are indeed groundstart?

I am really happy that it works.  I can now begin the process of deployment with a much greater feeling of security.

Jason