[Asterisk-Users] Opportunistic VoIP

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Fri Jun 13 09:11:04 MST 2003

> I'd say it's on-topic, since it's something (if implemented) could
> radically change the way Asterisk moves calls between servers.  If
> understood correctly, I believe it could be the single biggest change
> that the VOIP industry ("movement"?) could use to destroy the
> existing traditional infrastructure of the phone system.  Asterisk
> seems to be a pretty good hammer right now for starting that job; I
> think TRIP would give some extra muscle to the task.

kazaa meets telephony...  i like it.  i'll think about some of this in its
potential application to IAX2, for more practical uses, too, although I
don't see IAX2 assimilating all of TRIP's functionality, but the ability
to plug a phone into a LAN and automatically have it know the dialplan
would be handy, as would being able to setup a distributed network of
Asterisk servers with no centralized authority.

mark