[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail message as e-mail attachment

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jun 12 08:01:01 MST 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 09:24, Dan wrote:
> yes.. it is installed and I have tested that I can send an email
> using it (with the telnet console).
> I have done a search through the local messages and the problem seems
> to be that the mail sent by Asterisk use as sender
> root at mycomp.mydomain.ro, but this domain is not a registered one, so
> the destination server does not accept it.

If you set the 'serveremail' variable to a complete address, Asterisk
will use that as the Sender, otherwise it will append the machinename
to the name specified.

> Why sendmail is required to send only a mail ?
> Asterisk cannot send directly to the destination MX without the need
> for a local SMTP server?

Because doing so is far more complex than simply asking an external
program to do the sending for you.  You'd have to handle rejections,
bounces, and mail servers which are temporarily (and permanently)
unavailable.

-Tilghman