[Asterisk-Users] H.323 with * & VegaStream 100

Tjardick van der Kraan tjardick at vanderkraan.net
Thu Jun 12 07:38:00 MST 2003

Hello everybody,

We are running into some strange problems on inbound calls from our
termination provider.

They are using a VegaStream 100 with H.323 and a couple of codecs available.

We are running Asterisk with the H.323 channel and the G.729 codec's from
digium (10 pack license so there should be enough for a couple of calls).

Outgoing calls work perfectly, both on G.711 ulaw and G.729.

The strange thing is that on incomming calls, the incomming audio stream
doesn't work.

To test this we put up the echo test application onto one of our incomming
numbers. After hearing Alison telling me that i was about to do an echo test
i could shout anyway i like but i got nothing back.

When using the ulaw codec, i could hear my echo back....

I even disabled firewalling on the box to rule out the possibility of the
stream getting blocked by that, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

As the outgoing calls are just fine on G.729 and going to the same
VegaStream 100 I have no idea what this problem could be.

Our provider did some test them selves from the vega to another Vega, to
some cisco hardware and to some IP phones directly and couldn't come to any
other conclusion then that it must have been a problem with asterisk.

Anybody else using * with a VegaStream on the other side? Anyone that has
any idea on what this could be or where to look further?

Any help is really appreciated as doing G.711 over the internet is not
really doing the audio any good :(

Kind regards,

Tjardick van der Kraan