[Asterisk-Users] Testing two E400P with E1 cross-cable

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Wed Jun 11 21:30:58 MST 2003

I'm using a self-made cable with just 4-wires to hook up 2 E100P. Has
been working for few months without trouble. Just connect:
Pin 1 to Pin 4
Pin 2 to Pin 5
Pin 4 to Pin 1
Pin 5 to Pin 2

It's the same as a T1 crossover cable. IIRC, the E1/T1 sends signal out
on pair 4/5 and receives on 1/2. So, crossing the pairs should be
correct. Some Cisco docs also described the same thing (for connecting
their voice routers to your PBX).

Regarding the grounding or so called shielding, I was told it has to be
properly done according to telco specs. In fact, some E1 vendors will
explicitly state that you should get someone qualified to make the cable
if it involves the grounding.

So far, I've been running fine without the grounding. I think it's ok if
the distance is short, but if the distance is far I think you're better
off with proper grounding. It would be helpful if someone can help
clarify this. My gut feel: it's probably very important if you've ever
seen the thickness of ground cables used in the COs.

Cheers.