[Asterisk-Users] How do i make best use of Macro?

Christopher Arnold chris at terrabee.net
Wed Jun 11 11:01:10 MST 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 June 2003 10:43 am, Christopher Arnold wrote:
> > a) Is there state building up if my macro calls itself recusivly?
> A macro is NOT a function.  It simply is a shortcut to doing a
> longer series of commands.  A macro cannot itself be recursive.
Hmm shame on me...
So that is why it is called a Macro! :-)

> > Or should i use a Goto(newcontext,s,1)?
> I think you're confused as to what a macro can and cannot do.  Until
> you understand that distinction, you're going to have trouble
> understanding how a macro works within the system.
Shure i am. So i really should se a macro as something close to a #define
in C?

> In any case, I'd recommend that you forget about using macros
> and instead use AGI.
I had the impression that it was possible without AGI, but ok ill follow
the oracles advice. Does anyone have any pointers to documentation on the
AGI interface?

Another state question:
It would be possible to implement my functionality with a circle of
contexts. (I actually have a running proof of concept implementation) But
how is it in this case, would asterisk build up a huge state if someone
rotates around to much in the loop of contexts?

	/Chris