[Asterisk-Users] (no subject)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jun 10 14:44:04 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 16:22, Johnny Witt wrote:
> Hi Asterisk-Users
>
> I’ve been reading about the Asterisk project (all that I could get my
> hands on J ). It sound to good to be true. But I’ve got some questions
> which I haven’t found a answer to anywhere :
>
> 1)      Can I use Asterisk as a Call Manager using MGCP protocol or
> H.323 towards a Cisco AS54xx og Cisco 3660 ?

Yes, there is 1 MGCP driver, and 2 h323 drivers to choose from

> 2)       Can I use Asterisk as a CMS with CableModems using
> PacketCable – MGCP/CNS on the POTS ?

Not sure what you have going on here. As long as the cable modem has
sustainable bandwidth to make the VoIP happy, it will be irrelavent to
the question. Asterisk speaks MGCP and should work with the other end.

> 3)       Can I use  VoIP system based upon Asterisk and interconnect
> to another system based upon Cisco AVVID solutions using either MGCP
> or H.323 ?

The far end should not matter as long as you are speaking the same
language, ie. MGCP or h323.

> 4)       Is there any measurement regarding the performance of
> Asterisk as a CMS ( How many simultaneously calls ? , Extensions and
> so on)

This depends heavily on the codecs you use, and the system you put it
on. We are talking about commodity x86 hardware thats only real
limitation is that it must be 386 or higher for VoIP. The number of
extensions is only a matter of RAM and swap space since extensions just
take up memory in the dialplan. It is channels that will start to really
eat resources.