[Asterisk-Users] Using Linux traffic shaping to prioritise SIP/IAX traffic?

Emanuele Pucciarelli ep at acm.org
Tue Jun 10 12:58:14 MST 2003

Il mar, 2003-06-10 alle 20:07, Stephen Davies ha scritto:

> > When the "tos" option is set correctly (to "nodelay"), the default
> > queueing in recent kernels already does that, because the pfifo_fast
> > queue is used (if I recall correctly).
>
> But there is never any queue on my Linux box.  It all storms out of
> the ethernet interface and gets queued up in my cable modem which
> doesn't know anything about tos settings.

That is not entirely correct.  There is an output queue, and pfifo_fast
is the default (see the LARTC Howto, 9.2.1.1).  But you are right when
you say you need something to slow down the data;the simplest  choice
should be addingthe Token Bucket Filter (9.2.2.2).

But if the wondershaper already does it all, then it's probably better
to go with it... :)

--
Emanuele