[Asterisk-Users] Adding an app

JKNUTSEN at UP.COM JKNUTSEN at UP.COM
Mon Jun 9 11:01:28 MST 2003

I am in the process of testing out the Cisco ATA 186 to provide analog
phone service via VoIP for some of our remote users.  I have that working
fine and well, but am struggling with another aspect.  We already have a
large centralized voicemail system, which I would like to use for these
users.  I can get the call to roll to new the centralized voicemail no
problem, but I'd like to provide message waiting for them as well.  I've
seen where Asterisk can provide MWI via stutter dial tone for its own
internal voicemail.  After looking at the source code, it appears that
there is a flag set that determines whether or not  * needs to play stutter
dial tone when the user lifts the handset.  I can get my voicemail system
to pass the MWI to Asterisk in this form:

810NXXXXXX == turns off MWI
811NXXXXXX == turns on MWI

I would like to set up extensions.conf like this:

exten => 810NXXXXXX,1,MessageWaitOff(EXTEN:6)
exten => 811NXXXXXX,1,MessageWaitOn(EXTEN:6)

I would like the MessageWaitOff and MessageWaitOn apps to appropriately set
the flag for the extension that is passed to it.  This is where my problems
start.  I have spent some time looking through the source code, but I
haven't determined what all I need to touch to add an application and have
Asterisk recognize it.  I have created the apps, compiled them and created
the shared object file.  What other steps do I need to take?  Will what I'm
proposing here even work?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse Knutsen